fbpx

SHADOW RANCH PARK, WEST HILLS

Located in West Hills, the 13 acre Shadow Ranch Park dates back to the late 1800’s site where the Woodman Ranch house was part of a 13,000 acre wheat and cattle ranch. In the late 1930’s the ranch became the home of Florence Ryerson, and it is where she penned the screenplay for The Wizard of Oz. 

She aptly renamed the estate Shadow Ranch, due to the expansive shade provided by the eucalyptus trees that had been planted by the previous Australian owner. The house was used to film several movies in the mid-1900’s and was designated a Los Angeles-Historical Cultural monument in 1962. The ranch house is now used as a recreational and events facility, and the estate grounds include a universally accessible playground as well as playing fields, sport courts and picnic areas.

Scroll to Top